School-wide Positive Behaviour Support (SWPBS) is an internationally recognised approach with an extensive evidence base that is shown to improve behavioural, wellbeing, and academic outcomes for children and young people. When SWPBS is implemented well, teachers and students have more time to focus on relationships and classroom instruction. Students and staff benefit from:
- increased respectful and positive behaviour
- increased time focused on instruction
- improved social-emotional wellbeing
- positive and respectful relationships among students and staff
- create safe, orderly and respectful school-wide environments.
What is SWPBS?
SWPBS is an evidence-based school improvement approach that creates a positive and supportive learning environment for all students. It focuses on teaching and reinforcing positive behaviours while providing targeted assistance to students who may need extra support, leading to a more successful and inclusive learning community. When implemented well, it ensures that all students receive support to maximise behavioural, wellbeing and academic growth.
The approach also improves teacher wellbeing by providing them with the tools to establish positive climates for learning where they can focus on teaching and learning, by increasing engagement and instructional time.
SWPBS is a way to create positive, predictable, equitable and safe learning environments where everyone thrives.
Schools implementing SWPBS:
- Use a continuum of evidence-based practices to support student needs
- Engage students, families, and community members to co-create culturally responsive practices
- Regularly check the effectiveness of their practices
- Build behaviour support expertise within the school
- Rely on teams to guide implementation
- Use data to identify strengths, uncover needs, and monitor student progress
- Implement universal screening to identify student needs
- Develop content expertise through coaching and ongoing professional development
swpbs at rowellyn park ps
- At Rowellyn Park, we follow the school-wide positive behaviour program (SWPBS), based on our co-constructed learning behaviours.
- School-wide positive behaviour support (SWPBS) is a framework that brings together school communities to develop positive, safe, supportive learning cultures
- SWPBS assists schools to improve social, emotional, behavioural and academic outcomes for children and young people.
- Our school vision, school values with expected behaviours and the Rowellyn Road acknowledgement system are key components of the program.
- To best support students that are not displaying the expected behaviours in class or around the school, our staff use the Consistent Response to Student Behaviour process to ensure students are supported to quickly get back on track.